Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Being an Engineer...

I happen to be an engineer, but being an engineer was never one of my several "childhood dreams". As a kid, I was drawn more towards the lesser charted paths.

Just to elaborate a bit further, I can remember pretty distinctly that way back in the nineties, after having read a couple odd Ancient Indian History books, I had wanted to be an archaeologist when I grew up (even though I could not spell the word correctly at that time!), go scouting around the country looking for some lost remnants of the Indus Valley Civilization, and even go on to decipher the Brahmi script! I had even managed to find a confidante in a classmate who had wanted to be an Egyptologist (just imagine!). 

Call it the "Jurassic Park Effect", but alongside this, I  had even wished to become a palaeontologist. And of course, it goes without saying, that the fact that it would have been an impossible plan to carry out, never struck my young and enthusiastic mind at all.

A few years down the line, I was really moved by the plight of our people and decided that it was the need of the hour that I should assume the responsibilities of the office of the Prime Minister of India! I took it as given, that no one else was really fit enough for the job. 

On becoming a bit more mature, I got really inspired by one of teachers, Mrs. Shelly Walia, and wanted to appear for and crack the Civil Services Examination in order to become an IAS officer. God knows that I had, sort of, vowed to rid this society of all its resident evils and eradicate corruption completely (kids ARE like that, you know).

But, then, as it turned out, I studied to become an engineer.

It's not that I don't like being an engineer. No, that's not exactly the point. I took the decision to pursue engineering out of my own volition after some really serious and "rational" thinking, and what's more, I've really loved each and every moment of my days as an Engineering Student. Besides, I do not regret having taken it up as a course in life. And I've not done this half-heartedly. I've put in all my efforts into it.

But even then, sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I would have taken up one of my "dreams" a bit more seriously. I wonder what life would have been like as an archaeologist, or palaeontologist or how things would have been like as a budding politician!

I guess I would never know. 

But truly speaking, even now it's not all that bad, you know, being an engineer..


4 comments:

  1. Well...
    Hell lot of thoughts before you became an engineer...
    Just kidding!

    Life is just like a book, which has various chapters...
    When you start reading the first chapter, you really don't know anything about the book...
    As the chapters pass by, you become aware of new facts, knowledge, people, things, etc that change the the way of thinking or perception.

    I won't go into specifics of what i wanted earlier and what i am today or what i wanna be tomorrow...

    I just feel, that we should ask few simple questions to ourselves....
    > Is the book(life) we are reading(living) is really ours??
    > How amazing it would be if we could script our destiny?
    > And, if that's not our book that we are reading, please return the book to the library(God)... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every engineer thinks that at one point or another...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @madhur: yeah!!! We engineers can hardly ever escape feeling like this sometimes.

    @priyank: This book is mine for sure!!! And I intend to script it as well as I possibly can.
    Besides, I guess, some things can never be realized until you reach a particular chapter of this book called "life"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are hidden treasures in engineering as well. u could explore them as u go deeper and deeper. any how, never mind u never know what destiny has reserved for u. this is life after all. enjoy being an engineer and be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete