Friday, January 28, 2011

Belated Wishes and All

For all those who think that this post is going to be some kind of an open apology letter to somebody whom I forgot to wish on their birthday or anniversary, it's definitely not so. But yes, it does concern two people, who were very close to me till a few years ago and who's birthdays fell on the same day, the 27th January, i.e., yesterday.

We don't talk anymore. We don't know what the other one is doing these days. We don't even talk about each other with our common friends. We're not interested in each other's lives, anymore. We're not even Facebook friends (imagine that!).

There was a time when we were very close friends; the inseparable sorts, if you know what I mean. There was a time when we hadn't even imagined that we would get to be at such a stage in our shared lives when we wouldn't even care to know what is happening to the other ones.

And when I say all this, it doesn't imply that I'm blaming them for not keeping in touch, and for just going "poof" from my life all of a sudden. Even I had ceased to make efforts after a certain point of time. I don't know if I could have done better than what I did. And, I don't know what may happen if, at some point of time in our lives, we were to stumble upon each others' existence once again. Would we even acknowledge the other one's presence? I don't know.

It was their birthday yesterday. And I was reminded of the time when I used to try and be the first one to wish them. Then, I just stopped caring, for some odd reason.

Happy Belated Birthday, you two girls! I wish with all my heart that you would get to read this. I didn't want to write this last sentence, but I still did, again, for some odd, unknown reason.

I'm not sad. But I just wonder what this life would have been like WITH them. I guess I would never know how we came to this point where we'd outgrown that beautiful friendship.


2 comments:

  1. sumtimes you win sum, you loose sum...of memories, keep the good ones...they r sure hard to find these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes you need to just let go and move on.. But this isn't about not moving on, it's about stumbling upon some old well-trodden path, again, just by chance and being nostalgic..

      Delete